The Diversity in Maritime Charter creates a framework to challenge companies to make progress on diversity and inclusion. Charter companies set out the baseline they are starting from, set stretching targets with timeframes to improve diversity and lay out what steps they will take to achieve their goals.
- Discuss internally where you are currently and where do you want to be as an organisation in 5 or 10 years
- Complete the online Maritime UK Diversity in Maritime Charter application where you will be asked to nominate when you will like to attend a Charter Panel Session (NOTE: panel session are currently virtual)
- Prepare for your Charter Panel Session by:
- Entering your baseline data and stretching targets in this portal – you will be asked to present these at the Charter Panel
- Establishing an Action Plan to present to the Panel. Companies joining the Diversity in Maritime Charter will be required to agree an ‘action plan’, setting out individual targets for each participating company. A key commitment will see companies identifying a member of senior management responsible for implementation of the action plan
- Attend your Charter Panel Session and present your data and action plan. Your panel meeting will go for approximately 45 minutes. You will be asked to present your data and action plan and the panel will have an opportunity to ask you questions.
We are here to assist you throughout this process. We aren’t judging, we want you to succeed and will give you the tips and toolkits to assist you through your charter journey. Through our Diversity in Maritime programme we can provide you access to networks, a dedicated working group and a range of initiatives. We want to celebrate your quick wins and achievements throughout your journey and at the one year mark we will ask you to update us on your progress.
- In the Baseline section you will be asked to report on our gender data as well as answer a number of diversity and inclusion questions. Next to each of the questions you can select ‘yes’, ‘no’ or ‘not sure’. If you select ‘yes’ or ‘no’ this will show up on your target page – ‘yes’ to maintain or ‘no’ to start the progress. If you select ‘not sure’ it will not show up on your target page but you will have the option to change this to ‘yes’ or ‘no’ at a later date.
NOTE: once you submit your baseline data and questions you are unable to change them, with the exception of the ‘not sure’ questions
- In the Target section you will be asked for your stretch targets and you have the option of selecting your target year in 5 or 10 years’ time. Each year you will be asked to ‘map your progress’ again your stretch target data and questions.
If you have any technical issues or queries about the portal please contact Chrissie Clarke, Programme Manager at email@example.com